HOUSES RAN OVER $50,000 DEFICIT IN YEAR OF 1931-32

Expensive Rooms Under subscribed in Freshman Application--Dining Hall Profit Not Figured In

A deficit of $53,541.06 was realized on the Houses last year, it was announced yesterday at University Hall in response to requests for information. The figure is the first which has been released since the House Plan was put into effect.

For the last two years the University has had a considerable number of the most expensive rooms in the Houses left vacant. This consideration, together with the fact that part of the costs of the most recent units of the House Plan were paid out of University funds, is understood to account for the deficit. Since room rents for next year have been reduced, the University anticipates a still further fall in revenue next year.

In the applications from Freshmen for rooms in the Houses next year, the higher priced rooms have been considerably under-subscribed, and it is understood that difficulty is likely to be experienced in renting many of them. The scheme of doubling up whereby three men roomed in a double suite, has not been continued in assigning rooms to upperclassmen for next year, and it is doubtful whether Freshmen will be allowed to take advantage of this scheme since it has been denied to upperclassmen.

The balance sheet for the Houses, which shows the deficit of over $50,000, does not include the dining halls, which made a profit of $70,000 in the first year of their operation. This sum was not used to make up the deficit for the Houses but was used to furnish funds for the emergency employment program of House Aid.