TWO EXPEDITIONS WILL GO TO UTAH AND ARIZONA

Peabody Museum To Make Excavations In Southwest--Brew and Byers Will Lead Groups

Two expeditions in southwestern United States will be undertaken this summer under the auspices of the Peabody Museum, it was announced yesterday by Donald Scott, Director of the Museum.

The first, led by J. O. Brew 4G, will continue the excavations begun in 1931 on Alkali Ridge, in the San Juan drainage of Southeastern Utah. Alkali Ridge is covered with hundreds of ruins, dating from the pit house of Basket-maker times to the many-roomed stone structures of Puoblo III. The object of the expedition is to define the Pueblo II culture, which has never been determined. Thirteen sites were excavated last year with gratifying results.

The second expedition will be in charge of D. S. Byers '25. It will excavate the ruins in a great cave on the Chinle valley near the Utah-Arizona line, formerly called Waterfall Ruin. The cave is thought to contain rubbish and ruins of cultures paralleling those that are represented by the Alkali Ridge sites. It is hoped that the results of the work will clarify the problem presented by the Ridge, and throw further light on some of the earlier cultures of the region, since the dry rubbish is known to contain perishable material not preserved in open sites.