NEW STYLE TESTS MARK CHANGES IN LAW CURRICULUM

Length of Tests Reduced From Four to Two and Quarter Hours--Exams Will Be Held on Alternate Days

The introduction of comprehensive examinations, important changes in course examinations, and a revision of the course schedule, all to take effect next year, were announced Saturday by Roscoe Pound, dean of the Law School.

Under the new plan the student will be required to elect six of nine comprehensive examinations covering the whole field of Law preparatory to bar examinations. The examinations will require about two hours each and will be held during the regular course examination period. The student may select the six examinations most convenient for his schedule. Sample questions will be published in the autumn.

Shorter Examinations

Instead of the four-hour course examinations of ten questions each which are given at present, the plan provides for examinations of five questions each which will take two hours and a quarter. There will be an interval of one day between each of the course examinations for third year men, thus eliminating the possibility that they will be required to take examinations each day for several successive days. It is felt that convenience of schedule has influenced the choice of courses by students; the change is being made in order to eliminate such mechanical considerations from curricular decisions.

Conflicts in Courses

In the past there have been conflicts in courses counting for the undergraduate degree because such courses were all given in the morning. Under the new arrangement all courses that habitually have an enrollment of over 100 men are to be given in the morning and all other courses in the afternoon. The course schedule will be announced a year in advance, as is customary, so that students may plan their programs.

Thus, for a total examination schedule, third year men will be required to take six course and six comprehensive examinations. The six courses must be selected at the beginning of the year, and the student must inform the secretary on or before May 1 of the dates he has chosen for his comprehensive examinations.

There has been no change in either the course or the examination schedules of the first and second year men.