AFTER MIDNIGHT

Taking advantage of the fact that overnight parking in the streets of Cambridge is illegal garagemen of the vicinity have been giving the police the locations and registration numbers of the cars which they find parked during the night. Meanwhile the local traffic squad has itself started a drive against such offenses and has already tagged over a hundred cars; it calls attention to complains received from townspeople and emphasizes the fire hazard of parking on River Street or in back of Dunster House, near the area of frame dwellings. Unrealistically, the University insists that any student who can afford to run a car is also able to meet monthly rental charges. Even if this were universally true, such a student would be naturally reluctant to pay, so long as there were the possibility of otherwise disposing of his car when not in use.

There are a number of places which the University could well utilize as parking space, besides the present site behind the Business School. Some of the long strip of Corporation property on either side of the river, or of the lots beyond Peabody Museum and the Film Foundation, might economically be made over for the purpose, with nominal levies on the users. The University would in this way be doing its students and the police a service, and would forestall any more of such dubious go-getting as the garages have been accused of.