A. E. PHILLIPS ELECTED DEBATING COUNCIL HEAD

YALE DEFEATED FOUR TIMES IN 1932-33 SEASON

Asa Emory Phillips, Jr. '34, of Washington, District of Columbia, was elected president of the Harvard Debating Council at the annual business meeting and dinner held last night at Eliot House. D. M. Sullivan '33, the retiring president, was toastmaster and A. N. Holcombe '06, professor of Government, was speaker of the evening.

The other officers elected were John Thomas Higgens '34, of Pawtucket, Rhodo Island, vice president and Victor Horsley Kramer '35, of Cincinnati, Ohio, secretary-treasurer. Phillips has been in all the debates this year, and was president of the 1930 Freshman Debating Council.

At the business meeting it was decided to have a radio debate with one of the English universities next season, probably Oxford. Last year a similar debate was held with Oxford, and was the first debate ever to be broadcast across the ocean. It was also decided to make an attempt to establish intramural debating with a House program.

The council is well satisfied with this year's season with a record of six victories and two defeats. Yale was defeated in all four of this season's debates. Holy Cross and Boston College were the two teams successful in defeating the Harvard debaters.

The retiring officers are as follows: D. M. Sullivan '33, president; G. F. Oest '33, vice-president; A. E. Phillips '33, secretary-treasurer. E. M. Rowe will remain as coach next year.