Election of President Looms Today as Conant Appears Most Probable Choice

Corporation And Overseers To Meet in University Hall At 9.15 O'Clock

The mystery which for nearly six months has shrouded the choosing of President Lowell's successor will be cleared away before tonight unless Harvard's governing bodies fail to fulfill expectations. Both the Corporation and the Overseers will convene in University Hall at 9.15 o'clock this morning in a concurrent session and before they adjourn, the next president of Harvard will in all likelihood be determined.

As the day of election approaches, the name of James Bryant Conant '14, professor of Chemistry, forges more and more to the front. A dark horse at the time of President Lowell's resignation last November, the youthful chairman of the Department of chemistry appears now as the man of the hour. K. B. Murdock '16, dean of the Faculty, and Grenville Clark, '04, Fellow of Harvard college, continue to be the other favorites, with R. L. Lee '02, also a Fellow, the next most likely candidate.

When the Corporation and the Board of Overseers meet in University Hall this morning it will be in different rooms, in accordance with long-established custom. If a president is to be elected, the Corporation will then transmit to the Overseers a request to allow the Corporation to proceed to the election. When this is granted, the new head will be chosen and the name submitted to the Overseers, who will vote upon it immediately but must then table the matter for at least week. Whether the name of the Corporation's choice will be made public before the Overseers act a second time is problematical. In the event that it is announced today, a CRIMSON extra will be published.