President-Elect Conant To Take Office September 1 With No Ceremony -- Formal Inauguration Depends on His Wishes

Members of the University will return next fall to find a new president already in office and the Conant regime well under way. President-elect Conant will take over the reins of office without ceremony on September 1 in order that there may be no break in policy during the academic year.

Whether or not there will be a formal inauguration is doubtful, depending in large measure on the wishes of the president-elect, which cannot be expressed until after his election is confirmed by the Board of Overseers on Wednesday, June 21. It was pointed out at University Hall yesterday that there would be nothing unusual in having the inauguration follow the actual taking of office by a month or so. President Eliot specified that his resignation should take effect on May 19, 1909, after 40 years to a day in the presidency, and President Lowell took office at that time, but was not inaugurated until October 6. Because of the great ceremony traditionally attached to an inauguration, it may be omitted entirely, but if there is one, it will probably be early in October.

At President Lowell's inauguration, 240 delegates were present from all important educational institutions in this country and abroad, with others from the federal and state governments. Forming in front of Phillips Brooks House the procession marched to the platform erected in front of University Hall, where former Governor J. D. Long '57, president of the Board of Overseers, handed over to President Lowell the College charter, seal, and keys, in accordance with the ceremony traditional in the inauguration of Harvard presidents for over 200 years.

A Latin oration was delivered, also in accord with a long-standing tradition, followed by the new president's inaugural address. In the evening the undergraduates marched with torch-lights to the Stadium, where Lowell greeted them.