HARVARD ENTRY THIRD AS COLLEGE RACES END

Dartmouth Yachtmen Lift Crown From Crimson Defenders While Williams Takes Second in Annual Sailing

Taking only third place in the second and last day of competition in the intercollegiate yachting championship, Harvard trailed both Dartmouth and Williams in the races yesterday at Larchmont, New York. Princeton and Yale, however contrary to predictions, finished fourth and fifth, respectively.

The successful Williams' entry, Margot, and the winning entries of Dartmouth, Shadow and Carolina, did consistently well throughout the series; while the Crimson entry, Pastime, placed third in the first race of the first day, fifth in the second, and seventh in the third, which was the most difficult one, being 5 miles in length, windward and leeward, instead of the compromise 4 1-2 mile course of the first two races. These first three races were sailed in light, changing breezes, and on a flat sea, it was hoped that Cornell would be able to take place in the series, but she was unable to boat an entry.

The point scoring at the half-way mark of the series, which rated the boats in their finishing order, is as follows: Dartmouth, '48; Williams, 33 3-4; Harvard (defending champion), 31; Princeton, 29; Yale, 25.