POTTER WILL SUCCEED MATTHIESSEN IN ELIOT

HISTORY INSTRUCTOR RETURNS FROM ENGLAND IN FALL

John Milton Potter '26, instructor in History, will succeed F. O. Matthiessen, associate professor of English, as head tutor of Eliot House in the fall, it was announced yesterday. Potter has been studying in Europe this year on a fellowship but will return in September to take up his new duties.

Potter, a lineal descendant of the poet John Milton, was a member of the 1925-26 track team and of the Glee Club while in College. After his graduation he served as an instructor and in 1931 was appointed to Eliot House as a tutor in History and Literature. He is married and lives at 84 Prescott St., Cambridge.

Matthiessen, a Yale graduate, has occupied the position of head tutor during the two years of Eliot House's existence. He was active in forming the Eliot House Elizabethan Club and, with Theodore Spencer, instructor in English, coached and took part in the play, "A Shoemaker's Holiday," which the club put on this year. Professor Matthiessen's resignation as head tutor was brought about by his desire to spend all his time on his other work. He will continue as a tutor in History and Literature in Eliot House.

Professor Matthiessen's resignation leaves only three of the original seven head tutors still occupying their positions. They are: Allan Evans '24, Leverett; R. G. Noyes, Dunster; and J. A. Ross, Adams. D. V. Brown '25, head tutor of Kirkland House, resigned last month, while Mason Hammond '25 and P. S. Wild, Jr. resigned last year from their posts in Lowell and Winthrop Houses.