DAVENPORT, RAY STILL IN NET CHAMPIONSHIPS

NETMEN AIM FOR INTERNATIONAL MATCHES, INTERCOLLEGIATES

S. E. Davenport III, '34 and J. F. Ray '33, who played in numbers one and two positions on the tennis team this spring, have both won their way to the quarter-finals matches in the Eastern inter-collegiate tennis championships to be played today at Ardsley-on-the-Hudson, New York. G. H. Hartford II, '34 and W. E. Arensberg '33, while winning their first matches, were both eliminated before the third round.

Ray, unseeded has had an uphill fight so far, proving himself to be somewhat of a dark horse in this tournament, which is only preliminary to the Intercollegiates next week at Philadelphia. While the team seems to lack the brilliant play displayed last year by Frame, who was ranked fifth among the college players of the United States, nevertheless the fact that 50 per cent of the Crimson entries still survive speaks well.

Cowles To Join Players

Coach Cowles is not with team this week although he will meet them next week at Philadelphia, here he hopes to be able to practice with them prior to the Cambridge-Oxford-Harvard-Yale matches, as well as the Intercollegiates.

While Ray, Arensberg, Hartford, and a former teammate, Frank Broida '32, were all eliminated from play in the Massachusetts States Championships, on the Longwood courts, Malcolm Hill '30, defeated G. H. Perkins '26, both former Harvard captains, in the finals, partially atoning for the failure or their younger rivals.