HARVARD AND YALE TRACK TEAM DOWN ENGLISH ATHLETES

New Zealand Star Nears World-record in Effortless Run--Many Records Fall in Close Meet

Harvard and Yale ended their respective and respectable track season on Saturday in a blaze of mixed glory, by defeating a redoubtable Oxford and Cambridge outfit. So meagre was the American margin of victory that the sum of the meet was in the nature of an upset, an upset for the expectation of the press which backed the home team to win things easily on Soldier's Field. For it was only in the last two events that the strong English invasion was turned back, and a deadlock achieved in the number of first places scored, six for each side. But Harvard and Yale men had the majority of second-places, nine to three, and it was by virtue of these humble victories that the meet was won.

This international meet, the seventh of the series which is held biennially, at Cambridge and Stamford Bridge, England, in alternate years, was orthodox in its larger aspects. The Americans ran away with the field events the English winning the races by the brilliance of a few world-stars. The Americans took the pole vault with no trouble at all; Keith Brown of Yale making a meet record record of course, since pole-vault is but a child of three years in English meets. One unusual feature of the colorful contest, however, was the large number of American college graduates, among them N. P. Hallowell, Jr. '32, J. B. Hawes '32, and Oscar Sutermeister '32, who competed for Great Britain.

Jack Lovelock's running of the mile was the one event of the afternoon which will be talked about in sporting circles around the world. The young New Zealander wearing the Dark Blue of Oxford jogged merrily through a mile race in 4 minutes 12.6 seconds, the fastest time over done in the Stadium or in the Harvard-Yale Oxford-Cambridge meets. He did three grueling laps around the track politely paced by Horan of Cambridge. With the gun for the last lap he went off on a race of his own, and crossed the finish line some hundred yards ahead of his closest competitor. He was not pressed at all during the whole race, if he had been he would surely have put a world's record.

But Lovelock's run was merely one of the six meet record-breaking performances of the afternoon. Stanwood, a former Bowdoin man, did yeoman service for Oxford with records in both hurdle events, Brown's pole-vault, mentioned before, was a record; E. E. Calvin '35, tenacious Crimson sprinter equaled the meet mark with a 9.8 second century run; Jackson of Yale beat out J. H. Dean '34 in the shotput for a clean record; E. I. David, diminutive sprinter clocked a record 220-yard run for the Light Blue; Mabey of Oxford ran a beautiful two-mile race for an easy meet championship; and Warner of Yale was strong as ever in the quarter-mile run, nosing out Captain N. P. Dodge '33. The only old record which held really aloof from the meet was the Broad Jump of 1921, 25 feet, 3 inches. W. L. Hasler '34 scored an upset when he won this event, though, and his victory in this by bringing a tie with Oxford for the number of first places, really gave the meet to the Americans