PORTER STILL UNHEARD AFTER VIOLENT STORM

WAS PROMINENT AUTHORITY ON MEDIAEVAL ARCHITECTURE

Up until a late hour last night no further news had been received about Dr. Arthur Kingsley Porter, internationally known archaeologist and William Dorr Boardman, Professor of Fine Arts at Harvard, who is believed to have drowned off the Irish coast in a small sailing boat Saturday afternoon when a severe thunderstorm swept the region.

Several years ago Dr. Porter bought an estate, Glenveagh Castle, at Gartan, County Donegal. He was sailing to the castle from a small summer bungalow on Inishboflin Island when the storm arose.

Dr. Porter was born in Stamford, Connecticut, February 6, 1883, and was graduated from Yale in 1904. He received his bachelor of fine arts degree in 1917 in New Haven. After work in architecture at Columbia he travelled extensively in France and Italy. In 1915 he started lecturing on fine arts at Yale and was appointed full professor in 1920. He has been William Dorr Boardman Professor here since 1924.

Dr. Porter was one of the foremost authorities on mediaeval architecture and served in the French ministry of instruction and Fine Arts in 1918 and 1919. In addition to membership in many foreign societies he also belonged to the Mediaeval Academy of America, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the Royal Irish Society of Antiquities. His most prominent books was "Mediaeval Architecture."