Ninety-Seven per cent. of Summer Students Glad They Came Questionnaire Shows--Many Make Interesting Suggestions

Working with Summer School authorities for the purpose of getting an accurate picture of the students ideas about the six-week term, the CRIMSON Summer Supplement published last week a questionnaire which in spite of a number of wits furnished some valuable information. Of the 137 blends which were answered in the spirit intended all but eight put after the question, Are you glad you came? Yes.

Of those who regretted their decision two complained of the expense, two of the fact that they have made no worth whiel friendships, and others of the location of Cambridge, and the manner in which their particular courses were conducted.

In answer to the question concerning the features most disliked, the Union tied with answers in the general thenor: long condemnation of Hollis Hall in which she mentioned that "living in a room occupied by Ralph Waldo Emerson and evidently not renovated since then is scant compensation for the lack of sun, the noise of prowling males at midnight under my first floor window, and the inadequate plumbing facilities. I see no reason why girls could not have occupied more cheerful surroundings in Massachusetts, Mower, and Lionel, and surely for such a short period I think that prices of rooms should not vary since it makes no difference to the Summer School whether good or poor rooms are used, since they would go untenanted anyway."

The consensus of opinion favored Cambridge because of the feeling of academic culture and aristocracy. Out of 145 answers 107 had a favorable impression, 27 disliked it because it was too much like a city, and nine reported that it would be all right if it were not near Boston.

One hundred and nineteen favored co-educational learning with the proviso that it be confined to the class-room, 12 considered it distracting, and six reported that they would have to see it in practice before they could tell.

The thing that most students heard about particularly before they came was President Lowell. Twelve mentioned the Collection of Glass Flowers in the University Museum, nine the College Library, and eight that Harvard students enjoyed themselves more than anyone else. Four would be wits could not refrain from mentioning the Massachusetts accent.

60 Per Cent Otherwise Idle

Interesting answers were received on the question which asked what the students would be doing if he had not attended. Sixty per cent confessed that they would be idle. Forty per cent of these would be searching for jobs, and the remaining 20 per cent taking life as easily as possible. Others would have had jobs ranging from assistant in a cancer research laboratory to lookout on in ice patrol boat in the north Atlantic. Eighteen per cent would be aluminum, book, and encyclopedia salesmen.

The reasons why they came to Harvard were varied. About 38 per cent wanted to make up credit; the remainder were interested in economics, education, or wanted to work for course reductions or degrees. Twenty per cent replied that they primarily came in order to have a good time and incidentally perhaps pick up some knowledge.

"How many new people have you men?" evoked some amusing answers: Fifty, 14, none of them look new, two people--76 farm hands, too many to count, none thank Heavens.

Suggested improvements emphasized particularly the slipshodness of daily classes, the lack of eminent and interesting teachers "whose personality can often teach you more than his lectures," and the feed in the Union. Many remarked that there was a preponderance of intellectust entertainment and not enough social opportunity.

Twenty who took the questionnaire lightly made mention of the lack of a single speakeasy in Cambridge, the delicate looking women in the Yord, and the number of weird people who fit about the light of learning