CHERRINGTON WILL LECTURE ON WORLD AFFAIRS TOMORROW

Has Studied Europe and Peace Moves Closely Since the War--"Educating for World Citizenship" is Topic

"Educating for World Citizenship" will be the topic of an address by B. M. Cherrington, executive secretary of the Foundation for the Advancement of the Social Sciences at the University of Denver, when he will speak to summer school students Wednesday evening, August 9 at 8 o'clock in Emerson D. The talk is free and open to the public.

For seven years Mr. Cherrington has been connected with the Foundation which is attempting by every sound educational means to bring the realities of the modern world before the attention of citizens of the west for the purpose of developing an informed public opinion on world affairs. Representatives from the foundation have been sent to all important world conferences and authorities have been brought to Denver. Radio programs have been sponsored and seminars conducted in which business and professional people might study international problems.

Cherrington's Opinions

"The fact that it has become excessively trite to say that the world is becoming increasingly interdependent doesn't make the fact less true or less important," said B. M. Cherrington, authority on world affairs who is scheduled to speak before the Summer School tomorrow evening in Emerson D at 8 o'clock. If the object of education is the successful adjustment of the individual to his environment, then education per se must deal with the world, for the environment that conditions the behavior and shapes the destiny of men today is planetary. Among educators this is now accepted generally. That battle essentially is won.

"The real battle front of education today lies in that sector where reside the philosophers of crisis. From these prophets of despair come cynical pronouncements as to the futility of all educational effort to change the social order. They point out that man in groups ever is moved by passion and not by reason. They foretell the inevitability of catastrophe. Other and more terrible world wars are inescapable.

"The shallow scoff at the outpourings of these pessimists; the thoughtful are challenged to sober reflection. History, especially current history--witness Russia, and Central Europe for example--is weighted heavily in favor of the pessimist. What can education say in answer? Nothing with certainty, that is, nothing which the pessimist, can not overwhelm with contradictory evidence. The pessimist looks into the past and is fortified, the educator in the final analysis must rest his case on the future and the hope that history need not always repeat itself. Suppose then, that the pessimist convinces the world that he is right--what then shall the educator do?

"Some may elect to join the spineless drift toward impending doom. Most, however, will choose, to struggle, trusting that a valiant resistance may perchance postpone somewhat the evil day, and perhaps soften its disasters, and at least guarantee to themselves the self respect of fighting against fate to the end."