CONANT SPEAKS TODAY BEFORE CLASS OF 1937

QUESTION OF FORMAL INAUGURAL STILL UNDECIDED

President Conant, appearing on the platform for the first time since his election, will address the Freshman class at 9 o'clock this morning in the New Lecture Hall. He will speak for approximately half an hour, extending his greeting to the class and touching upon their relation to the University. How much further he will go, whether he will speak at any length on education, remains a secret.

University authorities were undecided last night whether any measures would be taken to restrict the meeting to Freshmen. Since the New Lecture Hall seats but 1000 and since the members of the Class of 1937 exceed that number, the capacity of the hall will undoubtedly be taxed by the upperclassmen and faculty who will try to crowd within its doors. It seems unlikely, however, that Freshman bursar's cards will be required for admission.

Plans for Mr. Conant's inauguration, if he is to have one, will probably be announced before the end of next week. The inauguration of a Harvard president is a colorful ceremony governed by tradition in every detail except what the president himself chooses to say. There has been but one in the last 64 years.