PRICES RISE AS SQUARE MERCHANTS JOIN N. R. A.

Furniture, Pressing Costs Show Big Increase Over Last Year--Laundry, Food Remain the Same

Thrifty students will find that their dollar will not go as far this year as it did during the last three years, for the NRA has sent Harvard Square prices skyward. Codes governing many necessities are already in operation, but books, a chief student need, are at the same price as last year, inasmuch as the bookseller's code is not yet settled.

Most starting will be the realization that furniture has gone up 40 per cent. Second-hand stores about the square are forced to charge higher prices, being classed in the upholsterers group. Pressing prices have also taken a large jump. Every valeteria on the square is united under the NRA, and has advanced prices up to 50 per cent. For example, to press a three piece suit each week cost the student from $10 to $12 last year, where as the new codified prfee is $15.

Food Prices Same

Those who do not eat in the Houses or the Union will find food prices in Harvard Square restaurants are essentially the same as last year. Board in the Freshman dining hall will be $8 per week instead of last year's $9, and $8.50 in stead of $9 in the Houses. This downward change was announced before the National Recovery Act went into effect.

The cost for laundry varies little from last spring. Launderers are under a code, but are permitted to work 45 hours a week. An immediate shortening of these hours by Franklin D. Roosevelt '04, President of the United States, is expected. Thus an upward revision of laundry costs is anticipated.

Most retail articles needed by students such as radios, desk lamps, etc., have risen in price 10 to 25 per cent.