CURRICULA IN GRADUATE SCHOOLS ARE EXPANDED

FRANKFURTER AND DAVISON ON LEAVE; WHITNEY BACK

New courses have been added to the curricula of almost all the graduate schools it was revealed in an official announcement from--University Hall recently. Most notable of all is a complete reorganization that has gone into effect at the School of Architecture, which has broadened its training to include instruction in functional design, city planning, and other phases of construction and engineering closely allied to modern architecture.

At the School of City Planning, newest of the graduate schools in Harvard University, the introductory course on City and Regional Planning by Assistant Professor Howard K. Menbinick will be considerably augmented, and during the second half year a new course is being added on National Planning, believed to be the first course in the country dealing with this subject. It will be conducted by Assistant Professor Arthur C. Comey '07, and it will give special attention to such projects as the Tennessee Valley and other plans proposed in the National Recovery Program.

At the Graduate School of Business Administration, several new courses are being planned for the coming year, and the course on International Commercial Relations by Professor Jacob A. de Haas will be open to properly qualified business men without charge under the Leatherbee grant. The course meets on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from twelve to one o'clock.

Dean Holmes Experiment

At the School of Education, further experiments are being tried this year, it is announced by Dean Henry W. Holmes '03. The General Examination in Education is divided in two parts, one a "Comprehensive Paper" covering problems with which all teachers and school officers must be familiar, and a "Special-Field Paper," involving problems pertinent only to the work of specialists such as the superintendent of schools, the teacher of mathematics, the psychologist, etc. In the Comprehensive Paper this year, experiments will be tried out with the use of "objective" answers in addition to the usual "essay type" of answers.

In various departments of the University, the usual exodus of some professors on leave of absence, and the return of others, will bring certain changes in instruction for the current year.

In the Harvard Law School, Professor Felix Frankfurter will be on leave of absence for the whole year in order to give the George Eastman lectures at Oxford University. In his absence, his work will be divided among Professors Thomas R. Powell, James McC. Landis, and Henry M. Hart '26. During the second half year, Professor James A. McLaughlin will be on leave of absence, and his work will be taken over by Edward H. Warren '95, Weld Professor of Law from 1919 to 1929, who is returning from England to give his former courses. Professor Joseph Warren '97, is returning to the Law School after a two year absence to resume his courses in Conveyancing and Wills and Administration.

Archibald T. Davison '05, Professor of Choral Music, will be on leave for the entire year. In his absence, his duties as Organist and Choirmaster of the University and Director of the Harvard Glee Club will be taken over by George W. Woodworth '24, Lecturer in Music, who has been his assistant for several years.

Those returning to Cambridge after a year's leave of absence include Taylor Starck, Associate Professor of German; William L. Langer '15, Associate Professor of History; and Edward A. Whitney, Master of Kirkland House and Associate Professor of History and Literature. Continuing at Harvard as a Visiting Lecturer for the second year is Miles L. Hanley, Associate Professor of English at the University of Wisconsin.