Cross Country Season Starts With 55 Varsity, '37 Men Out

Intensive Training For First Meet Will Begin Today

More than 55 men reported to Coach Jaako Mikkola yesterday, in the first turnout of the Varsity and Freshman cross country teams. All the lettermen of last year's Varsity were present, and most of the stars of the 1936 Freshman team. Many more men are expected to report today for the first real practice of the season.

Coach Mikkola was particularly pleased with the turnout of the Class of 1937, and he hopes to have a championship first year aggregation this year. Many of the Freshman aspirants show considerable promise, and several of them starred on their school-boy teams.

After a short preliminary meeting, during which the coach outlined plans for the coming season, the entire squad took to the track for a short warm-up run. Intensive training in preparation for the triangular contest with Holy Cross and M. I. T. will start today. Although the latter college is not expected to offer any exceptionally stiff competition, the Crusaders are reported to have the strongest harrier outfit in years, and Coach Mikkola is expected to have a difficult task whipping his team into running shape by Friday, October 6.