Inauguration of President Leverett, on Which Conant's Is To Be Modeled Depicted as Simple, Picturesque Ceremony

President Conant's inauguration, it was announced yesterday, will be modeled on that of President John Leverett in 1707.

Below is given a passage from President Leverett's diary, quoting Mr. Wadsworth's minutes of the inaugural on January 14, 1707:

The Inauguration

"Mr. Leverett was Installed in his Presidents Office at Cambridge January 14, 1707-8. The Governor and Council and Ministers from the Six Neighbouring Towns were present in the Library; there were the College Charter, Records, Laws with a Seal Standing upon them; also the College Keys.

"Many people were in the Half below, in the Middle of the Hall A Table was Set for the Governor and Council to Sit at; things being thus prepared, The Governor Ordered the Library Keeper to carry down (under his right arm) The College Charter, Books of Record and Laws and the Seal upon them; He ordered the Buttler to carry down the Keys in his Lefthand; then the Governor took Mr. Leverett by the Hand. Led him out of the Library (after the books and Keys) down into the Hall, where, the Books, Seal Keys were laid on the Table in the Midst of the Hall.

Spoken Latin

"The Governor Sat down on one Side of the Table, and Mr. Leverett over against him: the Council and Mr. Hubbard of New-Cambridge also Sat at the Table. Then Mr. Hobard began with a very Serious Suitable Prayer, he having Ended. Sir Sewal made An Oration in Latin: nextly the Governor made a Speech in Latin to Mr. Leverett more especially, declaring how the Corporation had chosen him, the Governor and Council approved him, the General Court voted him a Salary. So he invested him in his office, pointing to the Books, Seal, Keys, on the Table, which He delivered to him as Ensigns of his Office-power. After this, Mr. Leverett made a Short Speech in Latin to the Governor then Sir Holyoke made an Oration in Latin. In the Next place, Mr. Danforth Minister of Dorchester went to prayer; in the Last place part of the 132. Psalm was Sung; (closed with the Gloria Patri) and thus the Affair was ended.

"After the business was thus Over. They went to dinner in the Hall, and then every one went his way."

In the Leverett installation, the "Library Keeper" and the College "Buttler" preceded the President into the College Hall, the first bearing the Charter, Books and Seal, and the second the Keys. These were laid on the table, and then transferred to the President by the Governor of the Province of Massachusetts.