CONANT WELCOMES NEW BUSINESS SCHOOL MEN

Points Out Bond Between Self and New Men in Welcoming Speech--In Their Troubles They May Think of His

At a meeting held last night in the Baker Memorial Library, President Conant welcomed the incoming class of the Harvard Business School. He was preceded in speaking by Dean Donham, who dwelt on the cultural background and social contacts that the tradition and national character of Harvard offer.

In his speech President Conant proceeded to point out how much he had in common with the newcomers to the University. He remarked that if the new students of business administration should ever feel overburdened with work they might well think of him, who in this, the first year of his administration, must begin studying not only the Business School, but the Law School, the Dental School, and all the other departments which his many years' specialization in chemistry had led him to neglect before.

The president suggested an interesting comparison between his own field and business administration. Chemistry, as a practical profession, evolved from alchemy only when the chemist Boyle wrote a book revealing the known facts candidly and ridiculing the veil of secrecy which had caused distrust of the whole science. "At present," said President Conant, "we are lifting the veil from the field of business and economics and it too is emerging as a highly useful profession."