TO COMPLETE NEW FIRE STATION IN NOVEMBER

New Alarm System, Modern Equipment To Cost $300,000--Each Fireman Will Have Separate Room

The new fire-station in the process of construction at Broadway and Kirkland Street, between Memorial Hall and the Yard will probably be occupied in the middle of November, it is reported from fire department headquarters.

This, of course, will be the central station in Cambridge and comes under the direct supervision of James M. Casey, fire chief here since 1916. The station, fitted out with the most modern equipment, may cost up to $300,000. A new electric alarm system, taking up the whole top floor, will in itself cost $100,000. In addition every convenience is to be supplied the men. Each fireman will have a room to himself as in the dormitory system: a central radio will be hooked up to reach every room: a kitchen, equipped with an electric refrigerator, gas stove, and every necessary appliance. Another unforeseen, but worth while expenditure was the purchase of a new floodlight wagon which is to be stationed here.

Students who live in and about the Yard will be gratified to hear that there will be no outside alarm. A system of red lights will be substituted to stop traffic when the engines leave the station.