SEXTET DEFEATS B.U. IN CLOSE ENCOUNTER, 3-2

JOHNNY LAX, TERRIER CENTER, IS STAR FOR B.U. SIX

A peppy Terrier sextet, fighting every inch of the way, forced the Harvard ice outfit to the limit in the Arena on Saturday night, and it was not until the final minute of play that Benny Beale was able to outwit the B.U. goalie with the shot that gave the Crimson a 3-2 victory.

B.U. seemed to be working on the theory that a good offense is the best defence and by keeping the puck in Harvard territory held the Crimson at bay for nearly the entire evening. Johnny Lax, ace center of the Terrier aggregation, who returned to competition after being out of the game since the first encounter with Harvard set the pace for the opposition and kept the puck in his possession for most of the time. Crimson forwards had difficulty in getting past the blue-line and when they did manage to clude the defence were beset by a horde of fierce-checking opponents.

The summary: HARVARD  B.U. Hasler, Kirkland, l.w.  r.w., R. Smith, J. Smith, Scannell Beale, Duffey, c.,  c., Lax, Rosenfeld, Gaul Hallowell, Holmes, r.w.  l.w., Rowe, Wesson Watts, Lane, Dow, l.d.  r.d., Ulman Gleason, Choate, Dow, r.d.  l.d., Lucey deGive, Mittel, g.  g., Nickerson

Score--Harvard 3, Boston University 2. Goals--First period, Holmes (10.45). Second period, R. Smith (3.30), Hallowell, (17.35). Third period, Wesson (8.35), Beale (18.57). Penalties--Rosenfeld (holding); Dow (tripping); Watts (tripping); Dow (holding); Lax (roughness); Duffey (roughness); Hallowell (tripping); Hasler (tripping); Lax (high stick); Hallowell (roughing); Ulman (roughing). Referees, Kellelier, Cleary. Time, three 20-minute periods.