TRACK TEAMS ARE DEFEATED IN K. OF C. MEET ON SATURDAY

J. J. Hayes and Richard Hayes Place in 45-Yard High Hurdles as McLaughlin Of B.A.A. Takes First

In what turned out to be a disastrous evening for the Crimson colors, the Varsity and Freshman track teams were effectively shown up in their first formal competition of the winter season at the Boston Garden on Saturday evening in the Prout Memorial Games, annually sponsored by the Knights of Columbus.

The only bright spot on the program from the Crimson point of view was the Varsity two-mile relay race which Harvard won from a field of colleges including Holy Cross, Boston College, M.I.T., Maine, and New Hampshire. A. A. Bliss '36 was followed by J. P. Scheu '35, who ran a magnificent race to put the Crimson in a commanding lead which J. B. White '34, and R. S. Playfair '36 did not relinquish.

In the finals of the 45-yard high hurdles for the N.E.A.A.U. championship, Harvard placed two men, J. J. Hayes '34, and Richard Hayes '36. Richard Hayes garnered second place, trailing R. E. McLaughlin of the B. A. A. The time was 6 seconds flat.

The Crimson was thoroughly out-classed by Holy Cross. In the Varsity race, H. S. Derrickson '35 ran his quarter close on the heels of the Purple lead off man, but the Worcester men went way into the lead while John Dorman '36 and J. B. White '34 were carrying the baton. The time was 3 min., 27 2-5 sec.