FUTURE PENN. LAWYERS MUST REGISTER THERE

Unique Law Requires Those Intending To Practice Law in Keystone State To File Applications

According to a unique law of Pennsylvania, all men intending to study law with a view to practising law in Pennsylvania are required to file applications with George F. Baer Appel, 1500 Walnut St., Philadelphia, for registration as law students before they graduate from college. In addition to this application the prospective law student must answer a comprehensive questionnaire and in some cases submit to a personal interview.

In Allegheny and Philadelphia counties, registration must be filed accompanied by a payment of a thirty dollar fee before February 1; in other counties the application date is May 1. There is also a requirement that each student register with some attorney practising in Pennsylvania, who will act as his "preceptor" to keep track of him and allow him to fulfill the requirements as to service in a law office during the summers or after he graduates.

There is, of course, a second examination into his character after his graduation from law school before he is admitted to the Bar, and this preliminary investigation is merely to prevent three or four years of useless law study for those obviously unfit.