39 MEN ENLIST AS CAMPAIGN AIDES IN FIGHT ON CURLEY

Volunteers To Work at Headquarters This Fall--Fraser and Grinnell Are Other Speakers

Following a speech by Robert M. Washburn '90, Republican Candidate for Senator, which criticized the administration for running this campaign on the national debt, 39 men enlisted as volunteers in the fight against former Mayor Curley last night at the meeting of the Practical Politics Committee in the Lowell House Common Room.

"The average man does not realize that he must pay the tax bill for public works programs," Mr. Washburn said. Senator Walsh not only supports Roosevelt to the fullest extent but Coolidge follows his decisions. It results in a game of 'follow the leader.' Any man who runs in direct opposition to the 'new deal,' is bound to be defeated.

"I really doubt if it is wise for a man to go into politics unless he is wealthy," Mr. Washburn concluded to his audience of a hundred. "Politics is more demoralizing that drink."

Cecil E. Fraser '20, President of the Cambridge Republican Council, described in what specific ways students can help. "We need your assistance in our telephone and personal campaign, in providing transportation, in helping at headquarters and at the polls," he said. Robert Grinnell '36, President of the Committee, has designated his room, Lowell F-31, as headquarters for the work.

The volunteers will devote their spare time either in the afternoon or evening at the Republican headquarters in Cambridge. Mr. Fraser said that the amount of time a man could lend made little difference. Jobs will be open to applicants until Election Day, Tuesday, November 6th.