Faculty Poll Duplicates Student With Flood for Bacon, Against New Deal

Republican 20-1 Favorite as Roosevelt Policies Lose by 7-1 Margin

Rolling up even bigger margins than the students, the Faculty part of the CRIMSON poll yesterday declared Gaspar G. Bacon '08 a 20-1 favorite over Mayor Curley and condemned the Rooseveltian policies 3-1. Ballots from nearly 200 professors were returned to the CRIMSON in the instructors' division of the straw vote.

Bad Defeat

This was an even worse defeat for the Democrats than the landslide poured in two days ago by the balloting of 2000 undergraduates. For the students supported Bacon by the comparatively small margin of 7-1 and repudiated the New Deal by less than 2-1. Opinion in the "brain trust" part of the University has apparently swung even further into the ranks of conservatism than the sentiments of their pupils.

Like the student group this represents a reversal of feeling on the part of the Faculty as far as the Washington Administration is concerned. By a narrow margin the professorial element was willing to give the New Deal a try last June. But yesterday the record stood 141 "no's" on the question "Do you feel that the policies of the Roosevelt Administration offer a satisfactory method to Recovery"? to 50 "yes" votes. Several men refused to make a decision and marked their ballots "yes and no."

Still larger than this was the difference between the totals for the three gubernatorial candidates. Bacon was far out in front with 185 supporters, while Curley and Goodwin were almost equally far behind with nine and seven respectively.

Bacon and "No"

Again by long odds the most popular combination of choice for the governorship and opinion on President Roosevelt was the Bacon and "no" category, which was the choice of 138 voters. This number represents only 60 short of the total of ballots cast to date, which puts Harvard far into the camp of the G.O.P. CRIMSON FACULTY POLL Bacon  185 Curley  9 Goodwin  7 "Yes" on New Deal  50 "No" on New Deal  141

--

Comparative figures of the vote on the Roosevelt question in correlation with the vote for the three candidates.   "Yes"  "No" Bacon  33  138 Curley  7  1 Goodwin  5  1

--