RIOTS AND THE COUNCIL

The Student Council's request that riots following football games be discontinued is wholly justified and praise-worthy. These riots have no meaning whatever since the great majority of the rioters are drunkards. There is no objection, on moral grounds, to the tearing down of the goal-posts in the exuberance of a well-earned victory. But the free-for-alls, in which numerous people are injured, are not only sophomoric but dangerous. They are a relic of the old collegiate days, and an encouragement to a raucous element that attends the Stadium more for the ensuing fights than to view the games themselves.

It is also an encouraging sign that the Council is taking preliminary steps, before the situation becomes so serious that the University in forced to act. The Council has, in the past, waited too long in such circumstances, and the student-body would do well to help the Council by forebearing from taking part in these riots. Such forebearance will preclude the necessity of unpleasant disciplinary action, unfortunate publicity, and a situation generally uncomfortable to all concerned.