"QUAM USQUE . . ."

The only welcome that the news of a new organization to be called the Harvard Forum can expect from the undergraduate body is a skillfully biting reference to the Liberal Club, the Inquiry, the Model League of Nations and the numerous other groups which purport to furnish a similar opportunity.

Students will fall first of all to sense the points on which the new organization differs from the ones already existing. The Liberal Club offers any undergraduate the chance to air his views; the Debating Council, although the subjects may be chosen by the group, is attempting to institute a certain amount of Parliamentary procedure; The Inquiry started from the premise that Harvard undergraduates wanted to Indulge in harmless forensics; and the Model League of Nations gives student representatives all the opportunity they desire in the way of involved regulations.

Apparently the only new item, on which the Forum wishes to improve the plight of the poor, under-expressed, censored Harvard undergraduate, is in the matter of Parliamentary procedure and if one is to judge from the conduct of the other clubs, such an ambition is not to be ridiculed.

But whether this is a sufficient cause for a new organization is doubtful in the extreme. Attendance at the Liberal Club meetings does not bode well for attendance at the Forum. Interest in the Debating Council, until the recent Hitler trial was such that one can only greet the Forum with raised eyebrows. The dances of the Model League were better patronized than were the meetings in parliamentary procedure.

The medium for expression is present in Cambridge in abundance. Any budding orator cannot complain that his efforts are stifled by a lack of a congenial group. It is not the medium, but the desire which is not present in abundance.