THE MAIL

To the Editor of the Crimson:

In your editorial "Two Thirds of a Nation" which you printed last week, you showed that 67 per cent of the people in the United States, by Gallup's figures, were opposed to the use of convoys. I believe that this week's Gallup poll is even more interesting and relevant. It is more important to know the comparative value which is attached in the people's minds to the alternatives we have, than their opinion of what is strategically necessary to carry that out at any one moment. Sixty-eight per cent would favor the United States' going into the war "if it appeared certain that there was no other way to defeat Germany and Italy." The administration, therefor, to carry out the people's wish, must throw the complete weight of the United States on the side of Britain whenever it appears to be the only way of beating Germany.

Not only is the vast majority shown which favors our entrance if necessary to defeat the Axis, but there has been a large shift on the convoy question. From the Crimson's figure of 27 per cent quoted last Monday, it had changed by the middle of the week poll until "41 per cent said they now favored the use of United States naval convoys." (Times). Over a 50 per cent increase in so short a time is highly indicative that the United States is rapidly coming to believe that the time when it must enter the war to make sure the defeat of Hitler is drawing close. The majority of the United States prefers war to an Axis victory; no longer may the isolationists quote the Gallup poll. Roger D. Fisher '43.