Many Attracted To Yard For Night Classes Held As Extension Courses

PERKINS' ART COURSE ONE OF MOST POPULAR

The Yard's learned atmosphere attracts large numbers of persons to the University Extension courses offered annually by the State Department of Education for the benefit of people who desire to further their learning by evening classes.

Cultural subjects such as literature and languages as well as almost every type of commercial and industrial course are given by qualified instructors at various strategic locations in the vicinity of Greater Boston. Of the 27,276 persons enrolled last year, about 5,000 from widely scattered points flocked to Harvard Yard, where Harvard and Sever Halls, as well as Fogg Art Museum and the Astronomical Laboratory were the scene of a large portion of the classes.

One of the chief drawing cards of the Yard is the course entitled "The Art of the Middle Ages", conducted in the Fogg Art Museum by G. Holmes Perkins, '26, assistant in the School of Architecture. Other Harvard instructors holding classes include Andre Morize, professor of French Literature, who lectures on "The Greatest French Novels", and Marcel Francon and George A. Znamensky, who instruct in intermediate French and elementary Russian respectively.

The members of the courses, almost all of which are held in the evening, are chiefly commercial people with jobs who desire further knowledge in their field so as to increase their chances of promotion. However, there is a fairly large minority who take the cultural courses merely for the aesthetic benefits to be derived. A still smaller number take the extension courses as a substitute for college work, having found a college education is expensive.