COMMUTERS WILL NOT JOIN HOUSES AS NON-RESIDENTS

House Committee Elected to Carry Out Program of Activities and to Unite Group

Coincident with the creation of a Commuters House Committee in Phillips Brooks House yesterday, the publication of the Investigation Committee's preliminary report disclosed that the proposal to make commuting students non-resident members of the Houses has been abandoned as a basis for further survey.

The report, however; stresses the importance of more adequate facilities for the commuters. In analyzing the causes of the problem it says, "A great many of the difficulties in the past have been due to congested quarters, which have produced considerable friction.

Questionnaire in Preparation

The Committee is now drafting a questionnaire which will be sent to all men not living in University dormitories or in one of the Houses. It is hoped the opinions, which the results should disclose, will form the basis for the Committee's proposals.

The election of a P. B. H. House Committee yesterday marks the second change in the commuters' status since the petition last week. Its duties will be the same as those of the other House Committees and will open the way for a definite program of non-resident activities.

Leaders in Election

Out of a total of 163 ballots cast for the candidates, three were elected. The results are as follows, with an asterisk beside the names of the winners: *Edward S. Josephson '36  111 *Sigmund Werner '36  80 *Forrest T. Foss '37  67 Irving Rosenbloom '35  63

Last Friday the representation of the commuters was adjusted on the Student Council when Eliot D. Canter '35, president of the Menorah Society and vice-president of the Engineering Society, was given ex-officio membership.

Committee Personnel

The Investigation Committee which is trying to perfect a plan which will offer the commuter the same opportunities offered to members of the Houses includes: Frederick A. Webster '35, president of the Phillips Brooks House Association, Victor H. Kramer '35, vice-president of the association, E. Francis Bowditch '35, president of the Student Council, Cauter, and Joseph D. Golden '37, who organized the petition from the commuters.

Committee Personnel