YENCHING INSTITUTE TO BEGIN A NEW POLICY

INSTITUTE SUBSCRIBER TO ASIATIC PERIODICALS

Beginning this year, the Harvard Yenching Institute has announced a new policy for the books written in Western tongues on Far-Eastern subjects, which it has been accustomed to buy of late years, will no longer be given over to the Widener Library, but will instead be placed among the Institute's own Boylston Hall shelves, to supplement its extensive collection of Chinese and Japanese authorities.

As further proof, moreover, that Harvard Yard is the place to go to get in live touch with the Orient, a late report of the Institute indicates that it is now receiving 171 different Chinese current periodicals with 37 from Japan; which places it, in this respect, far in advance of any other American library. Now in possession of 86,651 volumes in the former language and 6,994 in the latter, the Library will continue its collecting of cultural books this year, principally in an effort to procure valuable Chinese ts'ung shu, collections of individual works, and especially those out of date, such as the Harvard Classics would form in English.