Crimson Reprints Confidential Guides on Second Half Year Courses Which Appeared in Pamphlet Published During Fall

For the convenience of the Class of 1938 the Crimson is starting today to reprint the Confidential Guides on courses beginning in the second half year which appeared in the Freshman pamphlet in September.

Later this week there will be several Guides on the larger upper-class courses. The Crimson, however, is making no attempt to cover this ground thoroughly, since sources of information, unavailable to the man entering Harvard, are open to Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.

ENGLISH B and 10a (1)

"Public Speaking" Go

If you have had no previous experience in public speaking these two courses merit your consideration. The chances are that you will have to speak at some occasion in the future and it is wise to be prepared. The chief benefit which you can derive from them is the practice of standing on your feet and talking to a group of people.

English H. which meets only once a week either half year and does not count for a degree doesn't quite fill the bill. There is too little time to get any real practice. Nevertheless it is beneficial if you have no place in your schedule for 10a.

English 10a, which may be taken either half year and does count for a degree, does provide some experience. In its effort to improve your delivery of addresses and to give you platform experience, it is quite successful.

Each man gives five major speeches on different subjects of about ten minutes each and several shorter ones. The instructor criticizes each man's way of speaking, his "platform manner," and the content and organization of his speeches. For the longer speeches the student has to prepare a detailed outline which cables him to organize his thoughts and lends continuity to his expression. Possibly some of the material and written examinations are a little superfinous but your speaking is greatly aided.

Professor Packard is a good teacher. There are discussions on the speeches which often provoke feeling debate. The work is not unreasonably hard. However, since the course is composed largely of upper-classmen whose greater experience may make you suffer by comparison with a corrcapounding influence on your grade you must possess some real interest in it. Mr. Packard's consent is required.

CHEMISTRY 38 (13)

Qualitative Analysis Caution

These two half-courses which cover the same ground under different men in successive terms, demand a high grade on the entrance examination. Chemistry A. or a course in Physics. As a general rule, you should not attempt to break these requirements unless you have had excellent previous fraining.

Emphasis is placed almost entirely on the laboratory work which should appeal to the aspiring chemist if includes defection in common anions and cations in a queens solutions and their reactions. There is also practice with a few solids. No estimate of the time you must spend can be made because you arrange your own schedule and your capabilities vary widely.

The texts in both courses include A Neyes book. "Qualitative Chemical Analysis" for laboratory procedures and about 14 pages weekly in Rammett's "Solution of Electroydes." There is one hour examination in each course and While the two very in slight details, both have capable instructors.