THE LOST BATTALION

Isolated from undergraduate life, a small group of about fifty upper-classmen is condemned to live in old dormitories such as Claverly and Little, for want of accomodation in the houses. Denied the privileges of their classmates and separated from the rest of the College, this is decidedly a maltreated, if small, minority.

In answer to the contention that these men have everything that students formerly enjoyed, there is the fact that the establishment of the Houses has transformed social conditions so utterly that the relative position of those who do not benefit by Mr. Harkness's generosity is much worse. Of course, physical difficulties partially explain their predicament, for in adjusting the number and price of rooms to meet the demand the Bursar's Office inevitably makes some mistakes. As a result some students lose out in the rush for cheaper suites, and others, though they are willing and able to pay well, are likewise neglected.

But if fluctuations of enrollment and wealth account for the inconvenience to this fraction of the undergraduate body, they do not prevent an attempt to remedy the situation. To allow upper class residents of these halls house privileges should not be difficult, for in number they are few, and as Freshmen they had many acquaintances among present House residents. An assignment of seven to each House would provide for the entire group with little trouble, and would go far to right the present injustice.