"THE DOCTOR IN HISTORY" by Dr. Howard W. Haggard; Yale University Press, New Haven; $3.75.

By S. M. R.

PROFESSOR HAGGARD has written his history of the world--and viewing the world from the eyes of one predominantly interested in the position of the medicine man and the status of medicine in society it is a very interesting work. It makes no Wellsian pretensions at all-inclusiveness but strives rather to strike the high and essential points in the development of medicine through the ages to its present state. Dr. Haggard is not cramped by a sketchy knowledge of history, his facts are ever accurate and his general views concise and well-grounded. From Imhotep who started the ball arolling down to the modern hospital laboratory there was a long and tedious journey to be traveled by those who devote themselves to the aid of their suffering, brothers and Dr. Haggard has described this trip with skill and surety.

This book includes brief weld per traits of medicine's great portraits which make of the subjects not text-book gods but living men who were great because they saw and recorded. Especially note wentily is Dr. Haggard's all too brief section on primitive societies and the status of medicine therein. The book is devoid of technicalities which might disturb the lay reader it is written in an animated and vigorous style which is not without its humorous touches. If will be of especial interest to those who anticipate entrance into the profession but it has much to offer anybody interested in the development of man and his most vital institutions.