THE HARVARD LIBERAL CLUB

Previous to this year the Harvard Liberal club appeared to be definitely on the wane, but a merger last fall between the old Liberal and Socialist Clubs and their reappearance under a new management as the present Liberal Club injected fresh life into the liberal movement. The union however, was not an unqualified success, for many of the activities of the Club have either been inane or such as to arouse general antagonism, as the Armistice Day demonstration.

At present the name of the Liberal Clubs carries considerable prestige outside of Cambridge, yet within the College the Club is regarded by many as a group of shaggy-haired opportunists intent on utilizing the Club as an instrument to forward their own pet schemes. These beliefs are fostered by the diverse political complexion of the Club's membership, ranging from these who would pursue political will o' the wisps to those who wish to carry out a constructive political program free from the taint of the soap-box- orator.

The apparent irrecencilability of these groups is unfortunate, since a split, in the Club would greatly diminish its potential usefulness. A properly organized liberal club, by providing preminent speakers and, incidentally, the machinery for a really effective political lobby could be as useful to the College as a whole as to its members. These ends can only be achieved by a united club possessing the confidence of the college. A serious rupture now, however, would mean the end of a program dedicated to these ends and probably cause the Liberal Club to fall back into its customary position of hot air produce extraordinary to the University.