CONANT TO SOUND OUTSIDE SOURCES FOR STUDENT AID

$200,000 Alumni Contribution Pushes Total There to $490,000 -- Harvard Always Led in Past

Following the example of Yale University authorities who have raised over $200,000 in student aids from alumni for disposition during the current academic year, President Conant has definitely undertaken to procure from outside sources the finances necessary to the continuation of the Temporary Student Employment Plan next year. Although it is unlikely that any definite announcement as to the success of the plan will be made before April, it is believed that some decision will be taken by the Corporation within a fortnight in regard to a minimum appropriation for 1934-35 Student Employment.

Should the Temporary Employment Plan, now financed at the rate of $40,000 a year, be carried on into 1934-35, there is every likelihood that it will be conducted on a scale considerably closer to $10,000 than to $40,000 unless President Conant's plan is a success.

Until this year, Harvard's available funds for undergraduate scholarships and aids far exceeded those of any other college in the country, while Yale trailed as an only fairly close second. Since last year, however, Harvard's available funds for scholarships and aids have declined somewhat more than $30,000, while Yale has amassed the unprecedented total for the current year of $490,000, a sum about twice as large as the corresponding Harvard fund.