Worst Blizzard in Decade Causes Congestion, Costs Maintenance Department Nearly $2,000

All Athletic Buildings Closed By Bingham As Ninety "Goodies" Are Kept From Work

Seventy men with shovels, and three snow plows have been engaged since 7.30 o'clock yesterday morning in clearing the College grounds of snow. It has been estimated by an officer of the Maintenance Department that this work will cost the University approximately $2,000, or $100 for every inch depth of snow.

All buildings connected with the Harvard Athletic Association were closed yesterday at two o'clock by order of William J. Bingham '16, Director of Physical Education. Since few students were using them, and since suspension of trolley service would have kept the employees from reaching home at the normal hour. Bingham allowed them to leave early.

The same lack of transportation facilities caused the absence of 90 of the College "goodies" yesterday. As a result of this contingency, those maids who reached the dormitories were forced to work all afternoon to get all rooms in order. It is the first time in ten years that such a tie-up has occurred.

The blizzard, however, benefited some dozen students who earned some money shovelling snow. Cambridge residents, through the medium of the Student Employment Office, engaged men of the University to clear the pavement about their homes. The number of men given work of this nature by the Employment Office was limited, in order that each student might receive a worthwhile sum.

In the Yard, the clearing of the paths and roadways was done by the regular Maintenance Department employees.