THE RETURN FROM XANADU

The question of a "business man president" is one which has vexed the governing boards of all those colleges which selected new executives during the depression. In times when the knottiest problem faced by a college is that of balancing its budget, there have been many, even at Harvard, who have seen great advantages in having in the president's chair a man especially trained to manage the financial side of a large and somewhat intractable enterprise. The appointment of John Wilbur Lowes as Financial Vice-President of the University is the Corporations' answer to this very real problem.

Mr. Lowes, presumably, will be President Conant's alter ego in all matters involving the drawing up of budgets and the allocation of the University's funds. President Lowell was his own financial adviser in these matters, while the routine work of disposition was left to the Comptroller. All this work will be--indeed, already has been--taken over by Mr. Lowes. The wisdom of splitting up the educational and financial aspects of the presidency, while leaving the former paramount, can not be questioned. The qualifications of a great educator and a successful financial executive are so diverse that it would be strange indeed if they were often to be found in the same person.

Mr. Lowes will find plenty of opportunity for the exercise of his authority in cutting down the large amount of waste which has survived even the ravages of the depression. And it will require all his talent to save in this way enough money to finance President Conant's program without crippling the existing educational machinery of the College.