Harvard Enters Men in National Squash-Racquets Tourney Play

Sargent and Grant To Represent University in Play for U.S. Singles Crown

For the first time in the history of the United States National Squash Championships, Harvard is entering individual and team players on its own, and not combining with Boston talent as in previous years. While not all the men on this "Cambridge" aggregate represent the college, Myers, former Crimson ace, being in the Law School, and Hall, also formerly on the A team, now attending the Business School, the main body of the players including Robert Grant and Tan Sargent, who are to take part in the individual championship, play in this tournament being limited to two candidates from each city, are undergraduate material.

Match play begins this coming Saturday, and will continue over the weekend, the finals taking place next Monday. The exhibition courts of the Harvard Club, the Union Boat Club, and the Boston Athletic Association will be in continuous use since these three clubs have been chosen for the brunt of the play. Some thirteen teams will engage in the tournaments, including outfits from England, Canada, Philadelphia, New York, Cleveland, and, of course, Boston. It is interesting to note that certain teams of the Massachusetts Squash-Racquets Association have been somewhat put out by the decision of the University players to represent Cambridge, although it gives Massachusetts much more of a showing since the individual teams are restricted to five men, and local entries to the national singles play, to two. Tickets are on sale at Harry Cowles' shop. A $1 ticket enables the holder to attend all the team and individual matches on Saturday and Sunday.

Coach Harry Cowles has been holding try-outs since yesterday in order to seed out the final team and give all possible chance to eligible men who wish to represent Cambridge. While Myers, Glidden, and Hall have been definitely selected for the team, three men, Sherman Howes, Huntington Hartford, and G. L. Clark who played for the college in the Nationals two years ago, are still contesting the last two positions. So far the results of the tryouts have been as follows: Howes defeated Archibald Cox '34, and lost in turn to J. M. Hall; Hall, who has been playing on the Lincoln's Inn team, defeated Bowditch, of the Graduates' team, before playing Howes; in the lower bracket, Hartford and Clark have successfully defeated Amos Eno, W. B. Hodges, and H. Black, and are to meet and decide the fourth place on the team; the loser of the match will play Howes for fifth place.