Let 'em Eat Cake

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

In spite of the high standard of living and undeniably high costs of the process inaugurated by the House Plan, one vital cog in the works has never functioned with perfect precision. The weighty problem of meals has not been satisfactorily solved by the introduction of model kitchens and natty dining halls, and in spite of a dietician the three squares are generally of an order which would do credit to the lower carnivora. Not a meal but is dominated by the flesh-pots, the quantity of animal products far exceeding the two ounces recommended by the Hygiene department. The vegetable dishes of flabby beets and pulpy cauliflower which flank the meat offering leer in such unsightly fashion at the diner as to discourage even the most ardent devotee of his vitamines and minerals from partaking freely. In short, the only barrier to deficiency disease is the ubiquitous hearts of lettuce, no doubt highly wholesome but at best unfit for daily human consumption.

The academic significance of this diatribe is that an educational institution cerebrates on its belly, and good scholarship must wait upon a balanced menu. Were the authorities to focus upon the problem under their noses, the path would straightway be cleared for the furtherance of the humanities. And incidentally pruning the bully beef and mutton chop outlay would not only finance the purchase of greens but might net Lehman Hall a tidy little surplus as well. Rhodes P. Frothingham '36.