ASK ABOLITION OF FRESHMAN SPORTS

Worcester-Declines Statement as to Official Attitude--Bingham Is Not Attainable

Seventy-five Freshmen signed a petition favoring the abolition of compulsory athletics for first year men which was circulated through the Yard last night. At least fifty more students desired a change in the present arrangements, but were unwilling to subscribe to the proposal for outright abolition. The petition read as follows:

"Will all Freshmen who favor the abolition of compulsory Freshman athletics please sign their names below? Your signature implies no obligation."

William J. Bingham '16, Director of Physical Education and Athletics, could not be reached last night. Alfred Worcester '78, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene, declined to make any statement on the subject of the petition.

When asked their reasons for indorsing the petition, several members of the Class of 1937 replied that they considered the present arrangement of three required hours of exercise per week as "prep schoolish" and that they desired the privileges of the upperclassmen.

Others heartily endorsed the program of "athletics for all" but felt that each Freshman should be given the right to decide when he should take his exercise. They stated that some weeks the pressure of studies made the compulsory athletics a source of great inconvenience.