Eliot Relics On Exhibition In Widener Treasure Room

University's Original Crimson Colors Included in Show

Collections of medals, letters, books, and pictures of President Eliot are now on exhibition in the Treasure Room of Widener Library, and will remain until after the celebration of the centenary on Sunday, March 20.

Among the letters on view is one written to John W. Burgess, former professor at Harvard, at the time of the founding of Radcliffe college in which President Eliot was very interested. In this, being scared that Harvard would be challenged as a co-educational institution, there is a very definite statement to the effect that Harvard and Radcliffe were two absolutely separate colleges and always would be so.

The original red handkerchief from which the Crimson color of Harvard was derived is on exhibition. This handkerchief dates from 1858 when President Eliot was rowing on an informal crew. A regatta having been scheduled with seven other colleges, it was felt that Harvard should have some distinguishing mark. As a result each member of the crew wore a crimson kerchief around his neck, and afterwards Crimson was chosen to be the official College color.

Many interesting medals received by President Eliot after his resignation in 1909 may also be seen. He was given the Order of the Crown of Italy by the King of Italy, the Imperial Order of the Rising Sun by the Emperor of Japan, the Order of the Crown of Prussia by the German Emperor, the Order of St. Sava by the King of the Serbs, Creates, and Slovenes, the Legion of Honor by the President of the French Republic, and the Order of the Crown by the King of the Belgians.

Several portraits and photographs of President Eliot are also on view.