Professor Glueck Opposes National Scotland Yard Because It Might Pave Way for Fascism

Law School Criminologist Claims Fascism is Merely a Fancy Word For Tyranny

"It is not too fantastic to assume that excessive federal interference in state criminal administration might lead to fascism, and fascism is tyranny," declared Sheldon Glueck, professor of Criminology, in discussing the problem of the apprehension of criminals. "The failure of the states to find a satisfactory solution to the crime problem does not prove that the government should step in and take over the job.

"Federal aid would be extremely desirable," he continued, "as long as it left the actual apprehension and prosecution of criminals in state hands. The national government should maintain a strict control over the interstate shipment of firearms and enlarge the present finger printing service. Congress should establish a new Bureau of Criminology in the Department of Justice with district offices in every part of the country, to serve as an exchange for information on criminals and methods of dealing with them."

Professor Glueck complained that one of the worst faults of present local administration was that it was likely to fall into the hands of political spoilsmen. The remedy of this situation he sees as the establishment of an informal, professionally staffed, citizens' committee, to represent the people, which would check up on the various law-enforcing agencies.

"But the major weakness of the present administration of justice," he stated, "is that it is uncoordinated. No common purpose or centralized control holds together the various departments, and the result is an anarchy which might plunge a large private organization thus managed, into bank ruptcy.

"As a remedy for this situation, the states should take the administration of justice largely into their own hands. The usual cry that is set up when on advocates integrated control is that on 'home rule' but I feel sure," he continued, "that some promise could be arranged which would be satisfactory it all concerned. If, as so many publicists state, we are engaged in a warren on the criminal,' then unified control is practically indispensable to victory