Salvemini Denies Guilt in Church Explosion in Answer to Accusations of Italian Government

Dares Mussolini To Sentence Him Guilty In Cablegram Sent To In Duce In Rome

Emphatically denying all charges against himself in connection with the bombing in St. Peter's Cathedral in Rome on June 25, Gaetano Salvemini. Lauro de Bosis Professor of Italian Literature, dared Mussolini yesterday to have him sentenced guilty and give him a chance to defend himself.

In a special statement to the CRIMSON. Professor Salvemini said, "if there were the slightest evidence against me for such an odious crime as to bomb a church crowded with innocent people or for any other crime, Mussolini would demand my extradition from the United States. He never will do so, because he thus would give me the opportunity of refuting all charges before impartial judges. Therefore I do not need to make any disclaimer."

Professor Salvemini sent an indignant cable to Mussolini in reply to the charges laid against him, as follows:

"Head of the Government, Rome, Italy. I learn from the newspapers that my name will be brought before the Fascist Special Tribunal on charges connected with the explosion of a bomb in St. Peter's last June and with conspiring against your life. I challenge you to have me sentenced as guilty by your Tribunal and to ask then for my extradition from the United States on the basis of such a sentence. Thus you will have the opportunity to lay down the evidence of my guilt before an American Court and I that of refuting all the charges against me before impartial judges. If my challenge is ignored. I shall ask a Committee of eminent American citizens to examine such evidence against me as will be made known by the Fascist Tribunal and to pass judgment upon the whole case."