CRITICS OF SCHOOL ANSWERED BY MEN ON FACULTY STAFF

Declares That Present Equipment Is Adequate for Instruction in Laws of Mechanics

Members of the Faculty of the Engineering School divided yesterday into two factions on the subject of the laboratories there. One group, recruited in the main from the older members of the staff, asserted that inasmuch as the School was interested only in fundamentals of engineering there was no need for improved equipment.

The other side of the question was aired by several younger instructors in the School who said that the material was decrepit and that the material was not forthcoming for improvement.

Lionel S. Marks, professor of Mechanical Engineering, whose department was the target for much of the criticism by undergraduates and graduates, declared that it was not necessary to have the latest, most up-to-date equipment for the type of instruction that the Engineering School gives.

In response to the statement that the Engineering School should have the large and more extensive apparatus found in many of the best-known technical schools, Professor Marks said, "The present equipment in the McKay Laboratory is simple enough for student use. If for any reason we should wish to have the use of some particular equipment, it is possible for us to have access to it."