New Deal an Anomaly, Does Not Benefit Small Manufacturer; NRA Not Permanent, --- Darrow

Famous Lawyer Declares Self A Pessimist -- Admits NIRA Interesting Subject

"I don't know what I'm doing."

Silence.

"Nobody knows what they're doing," More silence.

"I don't even know what I'm trying to do".

Thus Clarence Darrow, famous lawyer, and Chairman of the National Recovery Review Board said to the CRIMSON reporter in a recent interview in Washington.

"What I'm supposed to be doing, is to find out if the NRA has helped big business, whether or not the little fellow is being shouldered to the wall. And then to see if the forgotten man is still forgotten.

"Yes, It's an interesting subject. We have to make a report on it, so we're trying to get some information first. Not all people do that, but I guess I'm conscientious.

"Of course, General Johnson has made some mistakes. He had to. The NRA was thrown together in a hurry to save the world; it has done something, and it has created a lot of disturbance. But you see, the big interests who began by making the codes, and so they continue to make the trouble. If seems anomalous, but it's true.

"No, I don't think it has done anything for the little fellows: I don't think there is much that can be done. You ask what will be the final outcome." Here Mr. Darrow was silent for a while. Then "Is there ever a final outcome to anything?

"I don't think the codes will be permanent. Not like the laws of the Medes and the Persians. I wonder why they always speak of the Medes and the Persians together: did they live near one another?

"You may have heard that I'm given to pessimism. You may even have noticed if by what I've just said.