Report That 1937 Spurns House Plan Is Spiked by Dean Hanford

Socially Prominent To Leave Kirkland House -- Will Live Outside

Reports that a large bioc of the Freshman Class had refused to file applications for admission to the Houses, were in part spiked yesterday afternoon when Dean Hanford announced that 696 members of the Class of 1937 have applied for the Houses as compared with 754 at the corresponding time last year.

Drop Accounted For

According to reports, many members of the Class of 1936 and a like number of Freshmen were dissatisfied with the organization of the House Plan and had determined not to become a part of it. Apparently sensing that such rumors were in the air, Dean Hanford explained that the decrease in the number expecting to reside in the Houses could be accounted for by the fact that the enrollment in the Freshman Class was 70 less than that in the Sophomore.

The applications filed by 1937 are now in the hands of the Masters and the Central Committee who will consider then and render the final verdict about May 1. It was stated that the number of applications is "somewhat in excess of the accommodations available."

Rumors have been current throughout the year, and not without some foundation, that a large group of Sophomores who were shuttled out of their chosen House to correct the cross-section makeup, intended to leave the Houses and to secure lodgings outside. Much of the agitation came from Kirkland House which received more than its ordinary quota from the socially prominent men. Complaints during the previous year, that Kirkland House was a "social desert" together with the building of Bryant Hall during the summer resulted in the concentration of many outstanding men in the Class of 1937 there.