UNIVERSITY FILM FOUNDATION TO BE RUN BY HARVARD

New Organization Named "The Harvard Film Service"--Cancel Old Policy Of Film Production

Harvard University has taken over the University Film Foundation, a non-profit organization producing pictures of scientific, artistic and educational value, and will continue the work along more restricted lines, it was announced yesterday by Harold J. Coolidge, Jr., assistant curator of mammals at the Museum of Comparative Zoology and Director of the new organization.

Entitled the Harvard Film Service, it has already taken over the equipment and all of the films of the Film Foundation. The old Film Foundation is not, however, completely extinct, but is rapidly being dissolved.

Under the sponsorship of Harvard, many of the activities of the Film Foundation will cease. It has been decided to limit distribution of films to classes in Harvard and Radcliffe and to allow no outside rental except for a collection known as "Industrial Management" and certain other films of importance to University teaching and held under a special agreement.

Contrary to the policy of the University Film Foundation, which took pictures in laboratories whenever possible, the new organization will not carry on a program of film production, unless the necessary funds are forthcoming. Many of the films made during the last few years by the old Film Foundation are now being used in Harvard and Radcliffe classrooms.

The editing of films will cease except for what can be carried on in spare time by the film projectionist and he will be available only for the editing of Harvard films. Equipment of the Film Foundation has been left so that Faculty members and possibly graduate students can make their own pictures and have the service of the technician. Departments using the films in the future will have to pay for the rental out of their own budgets and must also pay for the operator and the expense of projection.

Curtailment of the activity of the University Film Foundation will come with the announcement yesterday that Harvard has taken over the equipment and many of the films.