CONANT PREPARES INVESTIGATION OF HOURS OF FACULTY

President Aims to Allow Younger Men Time for Productive Scholarship Within University

In a determined effort to find means of enabling younger faculty members to have sufficient time for productive scholarship, President Conant has ordered a detailed survey of the time demanded by teaching, laboratory work, and tutoring. As the first step, a questionnaire has been sent on these subjects to all full-time instructors and assistant professors on the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

This mark the first positive step of the President to put into effect a belief which he enunciated prominently in his report. He said, "No line should be drawn between teaching and research. Our strength in the past has lain in the fact that the spirit of scholarship has pervaded our teaching and our scholars have seen the importance of perpetuating the ideals of scholarship as well as advancing knowledge in their own specialty. . . "Sufficient time should be allowed for writing and investigation."

Following is the text of the letter:

"Could you let me have before Tuesday, May 1, a statement as to the number of hours of teaching and laboratory instruction and tutoring